COMPAÑÍA URUGUAYA DE VINOS DE MAR
The winery run by Michelini i Mufatto in Maldonado, Uruguay, aims at making wines that highlight the terroir’s main characteristics: the sea influence, its mountains’ granite soil, rainfall and clouds.
Compañía Uruguaya de Vinos de Mar focuses on wines made from select microterroir units, particularly in unique plots chosen for their characteristics, for the purposes of making wines from only three vines: Albariño, Pinot Noir and Tannat.
A sustainable enterprise with a distinct identity, which gives rise to transcendent wines that are an emblematic figure of the Uruguayan winemaking activity.
Based on the use of healthy grapes, highly accurate winemaking methods and ageing processes in high-quality cooperage, the winery located in the town of Garzón makes wines that truthfully reflect Maldonado’ sea terroir. Purity, elegance and finesse are the three main characteristics of the wines made by Compañía Uruguaya de Vinos de Mar.
Maldonado is a place of great significance and unique climatic, topographic and soil characteristics. The estates situated on the hills, influenced by the maritime climate, its clouds and its constant rainfall provide the elements required to make thrilling wines. The soil composition, a decisive factor for the wines’ identity, is formed by a combination of granite, sand, silt and clay.
THE WINE CELLAR
Small and cosy, this wine cellar is located at the centre of the town of Garzón. A functional and versatile establishment with high manoeuvrability, conceived for the full fermentation in concrete tanks, and wine ageing in barrels and foudres.
Its construction is simple yet modern, with details designed by Juan Diego Vecino, one of Uruguay’s most prominent architects.
These wines are the result of select plots from Maldonado, where the reds and whites’ expressions talk about the sea, the granite and the clouds. Only three varieties are purely and conventionally vinified: Albariño, Pinot Noir and Tannat, producing town wines, estate wines and plot wines under the same name and label, which details their particular vine, year and terroir. Wines from Compañía Uruguaya de Vinos de Mar are crafted by hand, with limited editions which are highly humanistic and allow for the close contact with each wine.
COMPAÑÍA URUGUAYA DE VINOS DE MAR PINOT NOIR
Cerro del Toro, Maldonado – Pinot Noir
Conceived as a generic wine, it is fermented in concrete tanks using 100% whole cluster through the action of native yeasts, followed by a postfermentative maceration and an ageing process in oak barrels for around seven months. Finally, it is gently filtered and bottled.
COMPAÑÍA URUGUAYA DE VINOS DE MAR ALBARIÑO
Cerro del Toro, Maldonado – Albariño
Prefermentative maceration is conducted on 30% of all harvested grapes with the peel and, as soon as the must begins to ferment, it is immediately pressed and sent to the barrels, where the fermentation process is concluded. The remaining 70% is directly pressed and fermented in concrete barrels or tanks, followed by ageing in the same containers for 7 months, after which the wine is blended and bottled.
“We make wines that reflect the soul of each terroir.”